Wednesday, July 17, 2013

TIMBER at Turtle Town Books July 6, 2013


From Lake Country Echo and Pine County Journal 7/1/2013:

By Mary Miller, Owner of Turtle Town Books and Gifts

Eden Prairie author to sign books at Turtle Town
When I got a call from a local author’s representative this winter, I wasn’t entirely enthusiastic. Every year I get several requests to read a particular book, and not all the stories are compelling. “I’ll give it two chapters,” I said. “If I’m not hooked, I’m putting it down.”

“Timber,” it turns out, is a compelling read. It is the story of Sarah Stewart, betrayed and suddenly penniless, who leaves Boston to search for her father, who abandoned her mother before her birth.  Her journey takes her to Minnesota’s timber country in 1893. In order to continue her search, Sarah needs money, but the only jobs available to women are as wives or as disreputable saloon girls.

Disguised as a boy, she hires on as a cook’s helper at a lumber camp run by the handsome Swede, Thor. Although the story line seems unlikely, Sanderson makes it work.  At one point in the story I thought the book was going to turn into a predictable romance. Not so. This historical fiction gives readers a look into the colorful life of a Minnesota logging camp and the fully fleshed-out characters who make life interesting. Sarah is a likable character, gutsy and hardworking, and the plot is unpredictable.

Finally, it is the Great Hinckley Fire of 1894 that decides so many fates.
Sanderson is a retired attorney living in Eden Prairie. She will be at Turtle Town Books & Gifts in Nisswa on Saturday, July 6, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. to sign copies of her book, available in paperback.

Sandy had a great time signing copies of TIMBER at Mary and Doug Miller's lovely store on Main Street in Nisswa, MN on July 6.  They were busy and fortunately the day was a bit overcast so lots of people were in town giving the fish a much needed respite.  

We met a bunch of friendly folks, several of whom were excited to bring the book to their book club to read!  We are looking forward to fall when groups start meeting again.  Please contact us if you'd like Sandy to visit your club.

Sandy and I appreciate Mary writing such a glowing review on TIMBER; Fire in the Pines!  I especially like the fact that she thinks the plot is unpredictable.  It's true!   I realized she was referring to me "the author's representative" after reading the first sentence.  

It's true Mary wasn't thrilled about carrying the book last winter.  Finally after about 3 months (of my polite stalking) she agreed to read two chapters and put it down if she didn't love it.  I said "I'll take it!"  Because I knew the story would hook her.  It was the ultimate compliment that not only did she begin carrying the book she reserved one of her busiest days of the summer for us to sign books on.

My daughter Andrea and best friend Sarah from Phoenix were also in attendance so it made it that much more special to be in Nisswa together.  The kids are proud of their grandma Sandy the author!

            Andrea posted this on Facebook, it's a copy of the book review.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment